Saturday, January 22, 2011

Ikea Magazine Rack REDO

We have/had (cause I have already redone it!) this gray Ikea magazine rack
that worked perfect in our fun bright colored loft,
but in our new pad it needed an updo.

First Step: Prime
(This is pretty much the before also. The gray color was the same just glossy.)


Second Step:
Spray Paint Black
(I just did the front,
since it will be on the wall I didn't think it would matter.
Yep, that's how I roll!)



Third Step:
Mod Podge really cute scrapbook paper onto the parts that stick out.
(How is that for technically speaking?!)

Fourth Step: I cut some darling letters using my coolio Cricut (Storybook)
I mod podged them on as well and then added a little bit of
HD Medium to give the letters a bit of raised texture.

5th: I painted all the parts that were left with Elmers Glue. Working quickly I painted over the glue with white acrylic paint (cheap stuff from a craft store). As the paint dried the magic happened. It crackled the paint a deliciously old fashioned way.
Finished Project:

I love the way this turned out!
It is perfect for my new office to hold my favorite books and mags! I love that i was able to transform something cost effective from IKEA into something so fresh and different!
Linking here today:
UndertheTableandDreaming

Keeping It Simple

7 comments:

  1. So cute Lexi! I'm a fan of modge podge for sure, but I didn't know that glue trick. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such cute stuff, but us old ladies need bigger pictures (or we must wear our glasses)!!! Can't wait to see you soon. Bring a project that we can do. I need to get some craftiness going again.!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that turned out so cute. great idea

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so jealous of how very talented you are! You cook, bake, craft; is there anything you can't do? Love this blog! Great idea! Thanks for sharing your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! FUnny, I just bought a couple of those same scrapbook papers today! :)
    Jen
    Scissors & Spatulas

    ReplyDelete
  6. That turned out beautiful!!! :)

    ReplyDelete